X-ray is a cold food processing technology that meets the highest requirements of most phytosanitary authorities when treating pallets. Consumers are also receptive to the technology since they regularly face X-ray systems in hospitals or in airports in comparison with radio-isotopes or fumigant-based treatments.
- 5 or 7 MeV X-rays
- Food treatment on pallets
- Excellent dose uniformity (DUR : from 1.5 to 1.9)
- Very fast treatment
- Start small and increase power when needed (from 20 to 560 kW)
- Throughput from 10 to 150 T / h
IBA’s process control system manages all equipment involved in the treatment process, including 3rd party equipment.
- Management of production orders and recipes
- Integration of 3rd party conveyor
- Coordination of equipment parameters (beam, conveyor and safety systems)
- Generation of treatment reports
- Supplies meet applicable ISO 9001:2015 requirements
X-rays for food serves several purposes including sanitary measures such as prevention of foodborne illness, phytosanitary measures such as insect/pest control (SIT) or shelf life extension.
X-rays for food have many advantages over traditional technologies:
- X-rays are well known by consumers from hospital and airports
- X-rays are routinely used for sterilizing medical devices
- Compared with traditional heat processes, X-ray’s cold treatment reduces impact on vitamin content
- There is no chemical or radioactive material involved during the process